On September 22, 2016, our computer system presented an error when staff tried to log in. After contacting the program vendor, we discovered that the computer system may have been accessed by unauthorized users, via the server. The computer system stores the following types of patient information, which we keep confidential:
- Social Security number
- Insurance information
Please know that we took the following appropriate corrective and preventive measures:
- We have identified the origination point for the computer system problem and have removed it from the network in the computer system.
- We have installed current anti-virus software, found the computer virus, and removed it from our computer system.
- We have scanned our computer system to make sure the virus has been completely removed.
- We have taken these actions with the assistance of the computer system vendor and our own information technology team.
- We are performing an ongoing security analysis to prevent this from happening again.
To date we have no reason to believe that your personal information was downloaded, copied, or otherwise accessed; however, because unauthorized users may have accessed such information, and to err on the side of caution, we have chosen to inform you of the possibility that there may have been a breach. Please monitor your personal accounts closely to identify any suspicious activity and report any suspicious activity to the appropriate authorities. Taking these steps will help to protect you from potential harm and unauthorized use of your personal information.
Please rest assured that San Juan Oncology Associates handles your confidential information professionally and in a manner authorized by you when registering as a patient.
This notice is for your information only, however, if you have any questions, please feel free to call our office at the following number: (505) 564-6850, and ask our staff for assistance regarding the breach notification. You may also reach us by calling the following toll-free number, which will remain active for the following ninety (90) days: 1-844-896-8228.
San Juan Oncology Associates